Anna M. Cook
Phone: (709) 570-5565
Fax: (709) 737-0533
Cell: (709) 689-2945
Phone: (709) 570-5323
Fax: (709) 738-7999
General Corporate and Commercial: Anna has an extensive corporate and commercial practice through which she acts for a broad and diverse group of clients ranging from small business startups to large multinational and international corporations. Anna handles commercial financings, real estate purchases, share sales, asset sales, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. She also provides advice on incorporation and organization and general corporate governance.
Employment and Labour: Anna advises and represents employers in all areas relating to Labour Relations and Employment law including wrongful dismissal; discipline and discharge; the preparation of contracts of employment; human rights; and applications for union certification.
Privacy and Access to Information: Anna provides advice to clients on privacy law compliance and access to information requests, both on the Federal and Provincial level. This has included advice regarding access to information requests and the proper handling of personal information. Anna has also represented clients on the access to information matters before the Trial Division and the Court of Appeal.
Canadian Bar Association
Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
Newfoundland and Labrador (2000)
Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A (English, French) 1995) Dalhousie University (LL.B. 1999)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs (NLOWE) "Around & About Blog" contributor; various entrepreneurship topics, 2012
- Lecturer: Memorial University Entrepreneurship Training Program; Legal and Regulatory Matters for Entrepreneurs in Canada, February 2012 and August 2013.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs (NLOWE) Blog contributor on various entrepreneurship topics, 2012
- Co-Presenter - NLOWE Annual Conference: Are You Financially Fit?, April 2012
- Presenter – Maritime Access & Privacy Workshop: Employee Monitoring – Striking the balance between the employer’s right to manage and the employee’s right to privacy, June 2011
- Presenter – Newfoundland & Labrador Access & Privacy Workshop: Surveillance and social media – Privacy Issues in Civil Litigation, May 2011
- Presenter - Newfoundland & Labrador Employers' Council: Do's and Don'ts of Employee Surveillance, May 2011
- Presenter - Branching Out with Social Media - Are We Leaning on a Dangerous Limb?, March 2011
- Presenter - College of the North Atlantic: Technology Awareness, February 2011
- Presenter - Labour & Employment Breakfast Seminar: Keeping Tabs: Emerging Privacy Issues and Trends in the Workplace, March 2011 (Halifax) and November 2010 (St. John's)
- Presenter - Managing a Changing Workplace, April 2010
- Co-Presenter - Labour & Employment Breakfast Seminar: Brace Yourself. H1N1: The Legal Issues Confronting Human Resource Managers, November 2009
- Board Member – Newfoundland and Labrador Building Owners and Managers Association.
- Member - International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member - Past Executive of the Canadian Bar Association Privacy Law Section
- Member - Labour Policy Committee of the Newfoundland & Labrador Employers' Council
Privacy Officer - St. John's Office of Cox & Palmer
Chair - Occupational Health and Safety Committee
Former Vice President - St. John's Boys & Girls Club
SIFE Memorial - Business Advisory Board
SIFE Memorial - Launch Pad Advisory Board