Mark A. Russell
Phone: (709) 570-5575
Fax: (709) 738-7999
Phone: (709) 570-5507
Fax: (709) 570-5757
Mark has a corporate and commercial practice focusing on insolvency, restructuring and bankruptcy. He has been involved in numerous insolvency proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, as well as court-appointed and private receiverships. Mark routinely acts for creditors in security enforcement, debt collections and judgment enforcement. He is the Chair of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section of the Newfoundland and Labrador Branch of the Canadian Bar Association.
Mark has a developing practice in international trade and investment law, and has been published on issues surrounding the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the World Trade Organization (WTO) and international government procurement agreements. He is a member of the International Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association. Mark is currently completing a Master of Laws through the University of London (United Kingdom), specializing in international business law.
Mark advises banks, credit unions and other lenders on financings and secured transactions. He also assists lenders with cost of credit disclosure compliance issues under federal and provincial legislation.
Canadian Bar Association
Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
Newfoundland & Labrador (2009)
University of Western Ontario
Memorial University (BBA 2005)
University of Western Ontario (LLB 2008)
- Recipient of the Borden Ladner Gervais LLP Award in Constitutional Law (2006)
- Recipient of the Blakes, Cassels & Graydon LLP Award in Company Law (2007)
- “What’s At Stake?: Stakeholders, Conflicts and Role of Independent Counsel in Insolvency Proceedings”, Paper for the Eighth Annual Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Law Conference, October 2012
- "Municipalities and International Trade Agreements", Public Sector Digest, July 2010
- Understanding International Trade and Investment Law”, Newfoundland Environmental Industries Association International Business Development Symposium, May 2013
- Member of the “Insolvency Hot Topics” panel at the Eighth Annual Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Law Conference, October 2012
- “Go Global: Understanding the Rules of International Trade and Investment”, June 2012
- Chair - Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section of the Canadian Bar Association-Newfoundland and Labrador Branch, 2010-11
- Instructor, CommercialIinsolvency, Newfoundland and Labrador Bar Admissions Course