Jorge P. Segovia
Phone: (709) 570-5331
Fax: (709) 726-4864
Phone: (709) 570-5344
Fax: (709) 738-7999
Jorge Segovia is a partner in our St. John’s office. His litigation practice includes the defence of various claims, including professional liability and personal injury actions. His insurance practice includes coverage, defence and subrogation proceedings. Jorge provides coverage opinions and general advice involving various insurance policies (including commercial general liability, builders’ risk, employment practices liability, directors and officers liability, automobile and various property policies).
Jorge has appeared at all levels of court in Newfoundland and Labrador, the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has represented clients at numerous mediations and settlement conferences. Jorge is on the Arbitration Roster of the Canadian Defence Lawyers/Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association. He is a Prime Member of the Association of Defence Trial Attorneys.
Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
Newfoundland and Labrador (1993)
Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A. 1989)
Dalhousie University (LL.B. 1992)
- Warford v. Weir’s Construction Limited,  NLTD(G) 42.
- Rice v. Atlantic Lottery Corporation Inc.,  N.J. No. 153 (T.D.).
- Cole v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada,  N.J. No. 149 (T.D.).
- Faulkner v. Irving Oil et al.,  N.J. No. 162 (T.D.).
- Hartson v. Hunter,  N.J. No. 99 (T.D.).
- Lombard General Insurance Company of Canada v. Crosbie Industrial Services Ltd.,  N.J. No. 276 (C.A.), affirming  N.J. No. 98 (T.D.).
- Ryan v. Moore,  S.C.J. No. 38.
- Harvey's Oil Limited v. Lombard General Insurance Company of Canada,  N.J. No. 47 (C.A.), affirming  N.J. No. 273 (T.D.).
- Warford v. Weir’s Construction Limited,  N.J. No. 178 (C.A.), affirming  N.J. No. 331 (T.D.).
- “Cars, Guns and Oil: A Review of Selected CGL Problem Areas and the Corresponding 2005 Revisions to the Standard CGL Form”, The Canadian Institute - 9th Annual Advanced Forum on Insurance Coverage Disputes, June, 2010.
- “Judging a Risk by its Cover(s): A Review of Overlapping Insurance Coverage Issues” (2010), 28 Can. J. Ins. L. 25.
- “Use or Operation of a Motor Vehicle: The Evolving Two-Part Test and the Implications for Automobile and Liability Insurers” (2008), 26 Can. J. Ins. L. 53.
- “Confirmation of Actions and the Effect on Limitation Periods”, June 1, 2007.
- “Supreme Court of Canada: No Reason to Preclude the Insurer from Relying on the Limitation Period”, Underwritings, April, 2006.
- “PI Action Struck by SCC as Statue-Barred”, The Lawyers Weekly; October 28, 2005.
- “Concurrent Causes of Loss and Insurance Exclusions”, Underwritings, August, 2002.
- “Coverage Triggers in Sexual Abuse Claims”, Without Prejudice, March 2000 (with Thomas J. O’Reilly, Q.C.).
- “Vicarious Liability and Sexual Abuse Claims: The Decisions in Curry and Griffiths”, August, 2000.
- “Employment Practices Liability and Insurance”, Annual Canadian RIMS Conference, September 19-22, 1999, St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- "Judging a Risk by its Cover(s): A Review of Overlapping Insurance Coverage Issues”; 6th Annual Insurance Coverage Symposium, Canadian Defence Lawyers, February 12, 2010, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Employer's Dream: Insurer's Nightmare! Employer's Liability: The Need for a Canadian Model”; 35th Annual RIMS Canada Conference, September 13-16, 2009, St. John’s, NL.
- "Use or Operation of a Motor Vehicle: The Evolving Two-Part Test and the Implications for Automobile and Liability Insurers”; 4th Annual Insurance Coverage Symposium, Canadian Defence Lawyers, February 28, 2008, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Specific Issues of Condominium Insurance”; Condominiums and Insurance: Panel Discussion, Insurance Institute, October 19, 2007, St. John's, NL.
- “Confirmation of Actions and the Effect on Limitation Periods”; Cox & Palmer’s Insurance Law Seminar, June 1, 2007, St. John’s, NL.
- “Insurers, Estoppel and Limitation Periods / Ryan v. Moore: The Supreme Court of Canada Upholds the Limitation Defence”; 2nd Annual Insurance Coverage Symposium, Canadian Defence Lawyers, February 23, 2006, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Emerging Issues in Insurance Law”; Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. (NL Chapter), November 12, 2002, St. John’s, NL.
- “Class Actions: The Newfoundland Perspective”; Cox Hanson O’Reilly Matheson Insurance Law Seminar, September, 2002, St. John’s, NL.
Association of Defence Trial Attorneys
Defence Research Institute
Canadian Defence Lawyers
Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc.
Canadian Bar Association