Alexander (Sandy) MacDonald, QC
Phone: (709) 570-5512
Fax: (709) 570-5772
Cell: (709) 685-9745
Phone: (709) 570-5507
Fax: (709) 738-7999
Alexander MacDonald, known as Sandy, is a partner in the St. John's office with Cox & Palmer. His practice focuses on offshore Natural Resources & Energy, emphasis on the Atlantic Canada offshore and the Far North. He acts for both governments and companies in all aspects of energy projects including regulatory matters, taxation and royalty. He is also an active construction and commercial litigator with considerable experience in large projects. Sandy is a native of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Canadian Bar Association
Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
Newfoundland and Labrador (1981)
Technical University of Nova Scotia B.Eng. 1978
Dalhousie (LL.B. 1981)
- Listed as a "Lawyer of the Year" in 2014 by Best Lawyers in Canada for Construction Law and Natural Resources Law.
- Listed as a leading practitioner by the publication The Best Lawyers in Canada since 2009 for his practice in the area of Construction Law, Energy Regulatory Law, and Natural Resources Law.
- Consistently recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading practitioner in Construction Law, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Director/Officer's Liability Litigation, and Oil & Gas Law.
- Alexander Macdonald "Who Really Benefits From the Offshore & Why Should You Care?" Ocean Resources (2004) Vol. 22-05.
- Alexander Macdonald "Regulatory Efficiency" Ocean Resources (2003)
- G. van Driel, Q.C. & A. MacDonald, Q.C., "Environmental Regime for Development of an Oil and Gas Project in the Newfoundland Offshore" (2002) 40 Alta. L. Rev. 131
Member – Canadian Petroleum Law Foundation
Past Member – Association of Professional Engineers of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Past President of the Canadian Water Polo Association and the Aquatic Federation of Canada
- Honorary Solicitor - Canadian Diabetes Association