Jim Musgrave, QC, C.Med.
Phone: (902) 491-4118
Fax: (902) 421-3130
Phone: (902) 421-6262 ext 5137
Fax: (902) 421-3130
Jim is a partner in Cox & Palmer's Halifax office. With more than 25 years experience, Jim acts as outside legal counsel to a number of Atlantic Canada’s top private and public companies, as well as a variety of small and medium sized enterprises, providing legal assistance in a broad range of business activities including financings of all sizes, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and security enforcement, and securities issues across Atlantic Canada. Jim is a native of Sydney, Nova Scotia and lives in Halifax with his wife Rhonda and their two sons.
Jim is also an arbitrator, mediator and workplace investigator. Jim’s ADR practice with Cox & Palmer, "ReSolution ADR", offers private arbitration, mediation and workplace investigation services. For more on Jim’s ADR practice, see www.JimMusgraveMediation.com. Jim is currently the President of ADR Canada.
Canadian Bar Association
Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
Nova Scotia (1985)
Mount Allison University
Dalhousie Law School (LL.B. 1984)
University of Prince Edward Island, Mediation Practice for Lawyers
Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, Advanced Civil Mediation
University of Prince Edward Island, Certificate in Conflict Resolution Studies
- Chartered Mediator Designation (2012)
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (2005)
- Scouts Canada, Medal of Merit (2003)
- Nova Scotia College of Chiropractors, Recognition Award for contributions to the Chiropractic Profession (2003 )
- The Scots: The North British Society, Past President's Medal (1995)
- Mediation: The Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Heal or No Deal: The Importance of Mediation Clauses in Business Contracts
- There's No Strife Like It: Ethics in Mediation
- Frequent speaker on mediation and business and commercial law topics.
- Has presented papers for the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society, Canadian Bar Association (national and Nova Scotia), Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals, Risk Management Association, and other organizations.
- Has taught mediation principles at the Bar Admission Course.
- President ADR Canada
- Board of Directors, ADR Atlantic
- Board of Directors, Risk Management Association, Atlantic Chapter
- National Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association's ADR Section
- Member, Human Resource Association of Nova Scotia
- Chair, Bethany United Church Long Range Planning Committee
- Volunteer Mediator, Better Business Bureau (Maritimes)
- Vice Chair, Canadian Mental Health Association (Nova Scotia Branch)
- Legal Counsel, Epilepsy Nova Scotia Board Member
- Vice President, Program, Halifax Assistance Fund (short form of "Association for the Alleviation of the Condition of the Poor in Halifax")
- Secretary, Scottish Rite Charitable Foundation Children’s Learning Centre (for dyslexia)