Our privacy lawyers have appeared before the Supreme Court, Trial Division and the Court of Appeal, and have extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of privacy and access law. We work closely with both our clients and other practice groups within the firm to provide sector-specific advice that's tailored to each client's needs.
Collection, use, and disclosure of personal information are critical considerations for both businesses and individuals. Federal and provincial privacy and access laws, such as the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA"), impact all areas of your business, and the culture of privacy continues to evolve. The introduction of various provincial privacy laws governing personal health information, the new federal anti-spam legislation, and the pervasiveness of social media all demonstrate the expanding need for privacy expertise.
In this complex landscape, Cox & Palmer provides ongoing practical advice on privacy matters and develops realistic, effective solutions for privacy and access law compliance and complaints.
Advisory Services Include:
- Development of compliance and risk management strategies, including the preparation of privacy policies specific to your needs - from a sole proprietor to a large organization, including website privacy policies.
- Proper management of personal information and ensuring compliance with changing privacy and access laws.
- Proper handling of privacy breach complaints.
- Outsourcing and data management.
- Social media privacy management, particularly in the workplace.
- Making, receiving and responding to access requests.
- Privacy training for clients and their employees.
- Handling of complaints and submissions to both the Federal and Provincial Privacy Commissioners.