At Cox & Palmer, our support staff are an essential part of our team to deliver outstanding service to our clients. We pride ourselves on a collegial working atmosphere and supportive team environment, and have achieved this through our team of self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
Recognized consistently over the last six years as one of the Best Places to Work in Atlantic Canada, Cox & Palmer provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, employer paid benefit premiums, matching employer pension contributions, employee assistance program, annual health and fitness allowance, and more.
Working as part of a collaborative accounting team, the Accounts Payable Clerk will accurately code invoices and expenses, process payments in a timely manner ensuring necessary approvals of payments, and ensure payments are made according to firm policies. The AP clerk will also be responsible for maintaining and filing documents in a systematic order while maintaining a high level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Completes payments and controls expenses by receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices, entries and comparing system reports to balances.
- Pays vendors, schedule and prepare checks; resolve purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation.
- Review all invoice, cheque requests, and expense reports for proper authorization and coding prior to payment, ensuring that all invoices are paid on time in compliance with the general terms of payment or specific agreements with suppliers.
- Obtain proper signatures on all general cheques, or other payment medium, prior to mailing or transmission.
- Completing HST reporting and remittances, time and expenses, and GL reporting while meeting all required deadlines.
- Respond to enquiries from lawyers, staff and external vendors in a prompt, courteous and professional manner.
- Participate in accounts receivable collection activities.
- Participate in cross-training and provide vacation coverage for other team members as operationally required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience in an Accounts Payable position. Previous experience in a professional services firm is an asset.
- Completion of Grade 12 and bookkeeping or accounting courses. Completion of post-secondary studies in business or accounting an asset.
- Fast, thorough and accurate data entry skills and the ability to manage a large volume of work.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service.
- Proficiency using MS-Office Suite including intermediate Excel skills. Experience using accounting software would be an asset
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Excellent ability to solve problems and deal with unusual situations
- Flexible and reliable, works well both independently and as a positive, contributing member in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills, able to multi-task, prioritize workload and adapt to changing situations
- Attention to detail – impeccable ability to maintain and enhance the presentation of the organization
- Communications – establish and maintain positive and professional relationships
- Initiative – welcome and values new work, contribute ideas, and assists colleagues
- Organization – adeptly manages completing tasks using available resources
- Dependable – work is accurate, thorough, completed in a timely manner, and reflects pride in ownership and accountability
Apply in confidence, on or before August 5, 2015 with resume and cover letter to: Human Resources, Cox & Palmer – Halifax, coxandpalmer.com. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Cox & Palmer is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is a member of theLaw Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN) and Pride at Work Canada.