Our Halifax office is seeking a self-motivated and highly competent Accounts Payable Clerk to join our fast paced and dynamic team.
At Cox & Palmer, our support staff is an essential part of our team effort to deliver outstanding service to our clients. We pride ourselves on a collegial working atmosphere and supportive team environment, and have achieved this by hiring self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
Recognized consistently over the last six years as one of the Best Places to Work in Atlantic Canada, Cox & Palmer provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits:
- Employer paid premiums for individual or family health and dental benefits
- Pension with matching employer contribution
- Employee assistance program and an
- Annual health and fitness allowance.
Summary of Responsibilities
Working as part of a collaborative accounting team, the Accounts Payable Clerk will accurately code invoices and expenses, process payments in a timely manner ensuring necessary approvals of payments, and ensure payments are made according to firm policies. The AP clerk will also be responsible for maintaining and filing documents in a systematic order while maintaining a high level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
This is a permanent, full-time position based in our Halifax office.
- Compile and maintain accounts payable records. Maintain vendor files in good order, both physically and within accounting software.
- Review all invoice, cheque requests, and expense reports for proper authorization and coding prior to payment, ensuring that all invoices are paid on time in compliance with the general terms of payment or specific agreements with suppliers.
- Maintain and control firm credit cards.
- Prepare commodity tax filings.
- Obtain proper signatures on all general cheques, or other payment medium, prior to mailing or transmission.
- Respond to enquiries from lawyers, staff and external vendors in a prompt, courteous and professional manner.
- Participate in accounts receivable collection activities.
- Participate in cross-training and provide vacation coverage for other team members as operationally required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Completion of Grade 12 and bookkeeping or accounting courses. Completion of post-secondary studies in business or accounting an asset.
Minimum of three years’ experience in an Accounts Payable position. Previous experience in a professional services firm is an asset.
Skills & Qualifications
- Fast and accurate data entry skills and the ability to manage a large volume of work.
- Must possess a high degree of accuracy with attention to detail.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service.
- Proficiency using MS-Office Suite including intermediate Excel skills. Experience using accounting software would be an asset
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Excellent ability to solve problems and deal with unusual situations
- Flexible and reliable, works well both independently and as a positive, contributing member in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills, able to multi-task, prioritize workload and adapt to changing situations
- Adaptability – you are comfortable juggling multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Attention to detail – you have impeccable grammar, spelling, punctuation and contextual use of words.
- Client service – you have great follow-up and look for opportunities to add value.
- Communications – you speak clearly and confidently, yet are a great listener.
- Initiative – you think about what you’re doing and contribute ideas of your own.
- Organization – your tasks are always completed and deadlines always met.
- Professionalism – you find it easy to stay positive and use appropriate means to proactively resolve issues.
- Punctuality – you prefer to arrive a few minutes early rather than risk being late for work.
- Teamwork – you take the initiative to assist co-workers and enjoy working toward common goals.
How to Apply
If you want to become a valued member of a strong team environment and seek the challenges of a diverse role, apply today. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received. Interested candidates should apply in confidence to Human Resources by Friday, August 22, 2014 with a cover letter and resume to:
Fax: (902) 421-3130
Cox & Palmer
PO Box 2380
Halifax NS B3J 3E5
Email: coxandpalmer.com We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants will receive an emailed response confirming receipt of their resume submission. Due to the high number of applications Cox & Palmer receives, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.