Our Halifax office is seeking an Admin/Payroll Assistant to join our team.
At Cox & Palmer, our support staff is an essential part of our team effort to deliver outstanding service to our clients. We pride ourselves on a collegial working atmosphere and supportive team environment, and have achieved this by hiring self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
Recognized consistently over the last five years as one of the Best Places to Work in Atlantic Canada, Cox & Palmer provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits:
- Employer paid premiums for individual or family health and dental benefits
- Pension with matching employer contribution
- Employee assistance program
- Annual health and fitness allowance.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Admin/Payroll Assistant is responsible for assisting with the recruitment and orientation for new legal and non-legal staff, maintaining employee records, benefit and pension administration and payroll administration. The assistant also provides general administrative support to the HR Manager, Director of Professional Development and the Chief Operating Officer. Responsibilities are approximately 80% admin support, 20% payroll administration.
- Provide administrative support to the HR Manager, the Director of Professional Development and the Chief Operating Officer including calendar maintenance: scheduling and organizing meetings, document preparation, maintaining contact lists and file maintenance
- Assist both the Director of PD and the HR Manager with the recruitment and employee orientation processes
- Prepare and maintain employee files and respective HRIS, ensuring the accuracy of employee data
- Process benefit and pension plan enrolments, changes and terminations
- Accurately process and submit employee payroll on a bi-weekly basis using ADP, processing all time, attendance, employee transactions and deductions
- Other related duties as required
Completion of a post-secondary education at university or college level in business or human resources. Alternatively, a combination of relevant training and experience may also be considered. Payroll certification such as Payroll Compliance Practitioner is an asset.
Two to five years of experience in payroll administration and providing administrative support is required. Experience working in a professional services firm is an asset.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- High degree of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Exercises discretion, good judgment and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The ability to work within a dual-reporting role and be responsive to needs in a client focused environment.
- The ability to work under pressure, handle and prioritize multiple tasks, and meet deadlines - strong organizational and time management skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Is reliable and demonstrates a high level of initiative.
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Intermediate to advanced computer and Microsoft Office skills and experience conducting Internet research. Experience using Pay@Work, People@Work or a comparable HRIS required.
- Adaptability – you are comfortable juggling multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Attention to detail – you have impeccable grammar, spelling, punctuation and contextual use of words.
- Client service – you have great follow-up and look for opportunities to add value.
- Communications – you speak clearly and confidently, yet are a great listener.
- Initiative – you think about what you’re doing and contribute ideas of your own.
- Organization – your tasks are always completed and deadlines always met.
- Professionalism – you find it easy to stay positive and use appropriate means to proactively resolve issues.
- Punctuality – you prefer to arrive a few minutes early rather than risk being late for work.
- Teamwork – you take the initiative to assist co-workers and enjoy working toward common goals.
Interested candidates should apply in confidence by Wednesday, May 8, 2013 with a cover letter and resume to:
Cox & Palmer
PO Box 2380
Halifax NS B3J 3E5
Fax: (902) 421-3130
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.