Cox & Palmer is a full-service, top-ranked Atlantic Canadian law firm with knowledge and experience clients rely on for solid legal solutions. The firm prides itself on a collegial work atmosphere and supportive team environment. We hire self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
Our Halifax office is currently seeking a lawyer for our Employment & Labour Practice Group. The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years labour-specific- experience with demonstrated competency in independent preparation and presentation of cases at arbitration, the Labour Board and the courts. Employment, professional regulation and administrative law experience is an asset.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Provide advice and representation to a wide variety of federal
and provincial clients;
- Work with our corporate and commercial lawyers to provide
strategic advice on employment and labour issues in corporate mergers,
acquisitions, sales and downsizing;
- Engage in strategic business development to enhance existing
client relationships and attract new clients;
- Enhance and improve procedures and processes related to labour
- Act as a mentor to junior associates and clerks;
- Possess the ability to teach and present in a variety of
contexts including in-house and external seminars, etc.
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in labour law;
- Knowledge of relevant legislation covering all areas of labour and related laws;
- A highly motivated self-starter who has the ability to work well both autonomously and in a team environment;
- Attention to detail, proven organizational skills and an effective communicator;
- A member of the Nova Scotia Bar (or the potential to become a member).
Recognized as one of the Best Places to Work in Atlantic Canada, Cox & Palmer, Halifax office provides a competitive compensation and benefits package including:
- Health, dental, life and disability insurance;
- Group RRSP;
- Employer paid parking & professional membership fees;
- Smartphone allowance;
- Employee assistance program;
- Annual health and fitness allowance.
Qualified candidates who are interested in the position should send a covering letter and resume by August 28, 2015 to:
Director of Professional Development
Cox & Palmer
Purdy’s Wharf, Tower I, Suite 1100
1959 Upper Water Street, Halifax, NS B3J 3N2
Direct: (902) 491 4453
Cox & Palmer is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is a member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN) and Pride at Work Canada.