Description: The File Opening/Conflict Search Specialist will coordinate and complete the conflict searching and file opening process for all new clients and matters.
Permanent, full-time position based in our Halifax office.
- Conducting conflict searches using Aderant Expert to determine if new clients can be represented without causing ethical or business conflicts with current clientele, and communicating results of conflict search to lawyers
- Opening new clients and/or matters, completing bill groups, contacts and parties.
(a) Entering the appropriate client and/or matter information into Aderant, analyzing the conflict search results and communicating the results to the lawyer responsible for the file. Resolution of a potential conflict is the responsibility of the lawyer. Should no conflict exist, the Specialist will be responsible for opening the file in Aderant, ensuring all appropriate information is on file, verifying that required NSBS regulations have been adhered to and communicating the client and/or matter number to the lawyer or assistant.
- Maintenance and cleanup of bill groups and contacts within Aderant.
- Other duties as required.
Successful completion of post-secondary studies in areas directly applicable to the duties described above (e.g., office administration, business, paralegal/legal assistant) or equivalent professional and educational experience. Conflicts specific training will be provided.
Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a legal environment as a legal assistant, accounting clerk or data entry clerk. Prior conflict search experience an asset. Fast and accurate data entry skills required.
Skills & Qualifications
- The successful candidate will be organized, analytical, detail oriented and demonstrate independent thinking and decision making skills.
- Strong computer skills and expertise conducting conflict searches; knowledge and proficiency using Aderant Expert an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and proven ability to provide quality, accurate and efficient work product in a high volume environment.
- Well developed and professional interpersonal skills; works effectively with lawyers and all levels of staff with tact and courtesy.
- Organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively, and handle multiple deadlines ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrates initiative, self motivation, and an ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion.
- Adaptability – you are comfortable juggling multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Attention to detail – you have impeccable grammar, spelling, punctuation and contextual use of words.
- Client service – you have great follow-up and look for opportunities to add value.
- Communications – you speak clearly and confidently, yet are a great listener.
- Initiative – you think about what you’re doing and contribute ideas of your own.
- Organization – your tasks are always completed and deadlines always met.
- Professionalism – you find it easy to stay positive and use appropriate means to proactively resolve issues.
- Punctuality – you prefer to arrive a few minutes early rather than risk being late for work.
- Teamwork – you take the initiative to assist co-workers and enjoy working toward common goals.
If you want to become a valued member of a strong team environment and seek the challenges of this important role, apply today. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received. Interested candidates should apply in confidence by Monday, September 1, 2014 with a cover letter and resume to:
Cox & Palmer
PO Box 2380
Halifax NS B3J 3E5
Fax: (902) 421-3130
We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants will receive an emailed response confirming receipt of their resume submission. Due to the high number of applications Cox & Palmer receives, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.