At Cox & Palmer, our support staff are an essential part of our team to deliver outstanding service to our clients. We pride ourselves on a collegial working atmosphere and supportive team environment, and have achieved this through our team of self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
Recognized consistently over the last six years as one of the Best Places to Work in Atlantic Canada, Cox & Palmer provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, employer paid benefit premiums, matching employer pension contributions, employee assistance program, annual health and fitness allowance, and more.
- Conduct conflict searches using Aderant Expert to determine if new clients can be represented without causing ethical or business conflicts with current clientele, and communicating results of conflict search to lawyers.
- Open new clients and/or matters, complete bill groups, contacts and parties.
- Enter appropriate client and/or matter information into Aderant, analyze the conflict search results and communicate results to the lawyer responsible for the file. Resolution of a potential conflict is the responsibility of the lawyer. Should no conflict exist, the Specialist will be responsible for opening the file in Aderant,
- Ensure all appropriate information is on file, verifying that required NSBS regulations have been adhered to and communicating the client and/or matter number to the lawyer or assistant.
- Maintain and cleanup of bill groups and contacts within Aderant.
- Other related duties, as required.
- Successful completion of post-secondary studies in areas directly applicable to the duties described above (e.g., office administration, business, paralegal/legal assistant) desirable but not required depending upon other professional and educational experience.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a legal environment as a legal assistant, accounting clerk or data entry clerk.
- Prior conflict search experience an asset.
- The successful candidate will be organized, analytical, detail oriented and demonstrate independent thinking and decision making skills.
- Strong computer skills and expertise conducting conflict searches; knowledge and proficiency using Aderant Expert an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and proven ability to provide quality, accurate and efficient work product in a high volume environment.
- Well developed and professional interpersonal skills; works effectively with lawyers and all levels of staff with tact and courtesy.
- Organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively, and handle multiple deadlines ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrates initiative, self motivation, and an ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion.
- Attention to detail – impeccable ability to maintain and enhance the presentation of the organization
- Communications – establish and maintain positive and professional relationships
- Initiative – welcome and values new work, contribute ideas, and assists colleagues
- Organization – adeptly manages completing tasks using available resources
- Dependable – work is accurate, thorough, completed in a timely manner, and reflects pride in ownership and accountability
Cox & Palmer is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is a member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN) and Pride at Work. Apply, on or before August 12th 2015, in confidence with resume and cover letter to: Human Resources, Cox & Palmer – Halifax, coxandpalmer.com. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.