Our Halifax office is seeking a self-motivated and highly competent Foreclosure Paralegal to join our fast paced and dynamic team. This contract position is a 12-15 month maternity leave replacement.
At Cox & Palmer, our support staff is an essential part of our team effort to deliver outstanding service to our clients. We pride ourselves on a collegial working atmosphere and supportive team environment, and have achieved this by hiring self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
Recognized consistently over the last five years as one of the Best Places to Work in Atlantic Canada, Cox & Palmer provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits:
- Employer paid premiums for individual or family health and dental benefits
- Employee assistance program; and
- Annual health and fitness allowance.
Summary of Responsibilities
Working closely with the foreclosure lawyer, the foreclosure paralegal manages and maintains assigned foreclosure files. Responsibilities include overall file management, preparation of all foreclosure pleadings and related documents, and regular communications with our clients, our clients’ customers and court administration.
- Manage all aspects of assigned foreclosure files from referral through to conclusion;
- Provide clients regular updates on the foreclosure process;
- Provide timely responses to clients’ customers’ inquiries;
- Prepare pleadings, correspondence, affidavits, court application documents, and other required materials for review by the assigned lawyer;
- Manage various deadlines while maintaining a comprehensive bring-forward system;
- Manage and prioritize files;
- Other duties as required.
- Skilled in the use of Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, and Aderant or another comparable legal program.
- Exceptional organizational skills including superior attention to detail.
- Superior interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Flexible and reliable, works well both independently as well as in a team environment.
Minimum of two years’ experience in a legal assistant or paralegal role. Previous experience in civil litigation collections or property law preferred. Previous experience with mortgage foreclosure work is an asset.
Completion of a legal assistant or paralegal diploma or equivalent experience.
- Adaptability – you are comfortable juggling multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Attention to detail – you have impeccable grammar, spelling, punctuation and contextual use of words.
- Client service – you take initiative and look for opportunities to add value.
- Communications – you speak clearly and confidently, yet are a great listener.
- Initiative – you think about what you’re doing and contribute ideas of your own.
- Organization – your tasks are always completed and deadlines always met.
- Professionalism – you find it easy to stay positive and use appropriate means to proactively resolve issues.
- Punctuality – you prefer to arrive a few minutes early rather than risk being late for work.
- Teamwork – you take the initiative to assist co-workers and enjoy working toward common goals.
If you want to become a valued member of a strong team environment and seek the challenges of a diverse role, apply today. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received. Interested candidates should apply in confidence with a cover letter and resume to:
Cox & Palmer
PO Box 2380
Halifax NS B3J 3E5
Fax: (902) 421-3130
We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants will receive an emailed response confirming receipt of their resume submission. Due to the high number of applications Cox & Palmer receives, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.