Our Halifax office is seeking a self-motivated and highly competent Legal Assistant to join our fast paced and dynamic team.
At Cox & Palmer, our support staff is an essential part of our team effort to deliver outstanding service to our clients. We pride ourselves on a collegial working atmosphere and supportive team environment, and have achieved this by hiring self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
Recognized consistently over the last five years as one of the Best Places to Work in Atlantic Canada, Cox & Palmer provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits:
- Employer paid premiums for individual or family health and dental benefits
- Pension with matching employer contribution
Employee assistance program and an
- Annual health and fitness allowance.
Description: Legal Assistants are responsible for providing secretarial service and legal assistant support to the assigned lawyers.
Position Status: Permanent, full-time position based in our Halifax office.
- Accurate preparation of legal documents and correspondence.
- Process daily e-mails, phone messages and time sheets.
- Maintain detailed and accurate client and administrative files.
- Calendar maintenance: schedule and organize meetings, assist with client meetings, make travel arrangements and update address books.
- Provide overflow support and help to other assistants as time allows.
- Other duties, as required.
Completion of a legal assistant or paralegal diploma from a recognized institution.
The successful legal assistant will possess 2 + years of Corporate Commercial experience.
Skills & Qualifications
- Intermediate to advanced MS Word skills. Experience using Outlook and Aderant Expert an asset.
- Minimum 60 wpm typing speed and transcription experience.
- Excellent proofreading, spelling and grammar skills.
- Superior organizational abilities. Detail oriented.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Adaptability – you are comfortable juggling multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Attention to detail – you have impeccable grammar, spelling, punctuation and contextual use of words.
- Client service – you have great follow-up and look for opportunities to add value.
- Communications – you speak clearly and confidently, yet are a great listener.
- Initiative – you think about what you’re doing and contribute ideas of your own.
- Organization – your tasks are always completed and deadlines always met.
- Professionalism – you find it easy to stay positive and use appropriate means to proactively resolve issues.
- Punctuality – you prefer to arrive a few minutes early rather than risk being late for work.
- Teamwork – you take the initiative to assist co-workers and enjoy working toward common goals.
If you want to become a valued member of a strong team environment and seek the challenges of a diverse role, apply today. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received.
Cox & Palmer
PO Box 2380
Halifax NS B3J 3E5
Fax: (902) 421-3130
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.